Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Honors Math major Joshua Crittenden successfully defended his thesis "The Linear Congruential Method." Joshua presented his thesis before a panel of professors including Dr. Anita Walker, Dr. Bill Walker, and Dr. Robert Ferdinand. Joshua now looks forward to graduating with departmental honors.
|Dr. Robert Ferdinand, Dr. Anita Walker, Joshua Crittenden, and Dr. Bill Walker|
Honors Chemistry major Joshua Smith successfully defended his thesis “ A Study of Varied Dopant Levels in BIMEVOX Compounds by Microwave Synthesis.” Joshua presented his thesis before a panel of professors including Dr. Dwight Myers, Dr. Dane Scott, and Dr. Carl Rutledge. Joshua now looks forward to graduating with full university honors in May 2013.
|Dr. Carl Rutledge, Dr. Dwight Myers, Joshua Smith, and Dr. Dane Scott|
|Joshua Smith, Cody Soden, Laura Blanco-Berdugo, and Dr. Dane Scott Posing in all their glory.|
Their particular study focused on solar cells. These cell devices convert solar energy into electricity. But they aren't being used used in our everyday lives due to their high cost, availabilty of material, stability, and their overall efficiency.
Way to go guys!
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Morgan "Nikki" Dickerson: The Effects of Carbohydrate Concentrations on Heat Shock Protein Expression in Daphnia magna
Honors Biology and Chemistry double major Nikki Dickerson successfully defended her thesis “The Effects of Carbohydrate Concentrations on Heat Shock Protein Expression in Daphnia magna.” Nikki presented her thesis before a panel of professors including Dr.Charlie Biles, Dr. Charles Crittell, Dr. Dwight Myers, and Dr. Dane Scott. Nikkie now looks forward to graduating with full university honors in May 2013.
|Dr. Dane Scott, Dr. Charles Crittell, Nikki Dickerson, Dr. Charlie Biles, and Dr. Dwight Myers|
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
On Tuesday, April 30th, the old and new Honors Student Association leadership teams got together for an "Old Meets New" leadership and team building session at the Pontotoc County Technology Cetner's low ropes course in order to build more effective communication skills and trust within the team.
|Ashley Cardwell, Chelsi Norris, Heather Smith|
|Ashley Cardwell, Kendall Dobbs, Nikki Dickerson, Chelsi Norris, Cerina Stiles, Nik razo, Heather Smith, Macy McDonald, Michael Womack, John Dale, and Karen Myers|
|Ashley Cardwell, Nikki Dickerson, and Laura Asaro|
|Nik Razo, Karen Myers, and John Dale|
Sunday, April 28, 2013
On Wednesday, April 24th, Dr. Benton, Dr. McMahon, Dr. Hada and 17 honors students banded together for an epic journey to Dallas to tour the The Trammell & Margaret Crow Collection of Asian Art Museum and enjoy a tea and lecture with the Monks of the Drepung Loseling Monastery.
|Morgan Johnson, Jeffrey Johnson, Trevir Sutton Michael Womack, Matthew Parham, Dr. McMahon, Jessica Potter, Kristen Howard, Kelsey Jackson, Jaime Worden, Melody Dunn, Heather Smith, Sarah Snow, Marissa Hinton, Erin awtery, Emily Davis, Ashley Huhman|
|Ashley Huhman and Erin Awtery|
|Jeffery Johnson, Matthew Parham, Michael Womack, Morgan Johnson, and Sarah Snow|
|Marissa Hinton, Melody Dunn, Kristen Howard, Jessica Potter|
|Jessica Potter, Jaime Worden, Heather Smith, and Trevor Sutton|
|Cerina Stiles, Sarah Snow, and Heather Smith|
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
On Tuesday, April 23rd Honors students, faculty, and families gathered to recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of:
- graduating Honors seniors: Ashley Cardwell, Nikki Dickerson, Lindsey Dugan, Justin Erwin, Blake Scott, Katlyn Shepherd, and Josh Smith;
- winners of the 2012-2013 second-year Honors Classroom Leader Award: Kendall Dobbs and Cerina Stiles;
- winners of the 2012-2013 first-year Honors Classroom Leader Award: Emily Davis, Marissa Hinton, and Rachel Norris; and
- the 2013 Honors Teacher of the Year: Dr. Jennifer McMahon.
|Drs. Ghenciu (Mathematics), Crittell (Chemistry), and Fields (Biology).|
|Lindsey Dugan, Marissa Hinton, and Dr. McMahon|
|Bethany Ragle, Catherine Phipps, and Macy McDonald|
|Cerina Stiles, Dr. Mount (History), Kendall Dobbs, Tell Jordan, and Anna Talkington|
|Nik Razo and John Dale|
|Ali Siweckyj and Ashley Cardwell (and her lovin' fiancee, Daniel)|
|Justin Erwin, Laura Asaro, and Blake Scott|
|Dr. McMahon (English), Monica Storey, Cora-lee Snow, and Dr. Latimore (Sociology).|
|Josh Smith, Morgan Johnson, Michael Womack, and Matthew Parham|
|Macy McDonald, Jaime Worden, and Heather Smith|
|Dr. Anderson, Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs|
On Tuesday, April 23rd, Honors students who have completed a thesis, project, engagement honors, or Oklahoma Scholar-Leadership Enrichment Program class gathered in the Estep Center to present their research and work to faculty and students.
Presentations over Honors theses included:
Presentations over Honors theses included:
- Joshua Crittenden (Senior, Mathematics): “Random Number Generation: Linear Congruential Method”
- Morgan Dickerson (Senior, Chemistry and Biology): “The Effects of Carbohydrate Concentrations on Heat Shock Protein Expression in Daphnia Magna”
- Lindsey Dugan (Senior, English): “Souls and Supers:: A Novella with a Critical Introduction”
- Josh Smith (Senior, Chemistry):“A Study of Varied Dopant Levels in BIMEVOX Compounds by Microwave Synthesis”
- Justin Erwin (Senior, Chemistry): “Synthesis of a Tetracyclic Sesquiterpene Derivative”
- Janne Klassen (Senior, English and Mathematics): “Stockholm and Sartre: An Existential Explanation of Stockholm Syndrome”
- Blake Scott (Senior, Biology-Molecular Biology): “There and Back Again: from REUs to Graduate School”
- Karen Meyers (Senior, Pre-Veterinary), Trevor Sutton (Senior, Accounting), and Alayna Corneilius (Senior, Psychology): January OSLEP at OU: Comparative Religion
|Back Row: Joshua Crittenden, Justin Erwin, Joshua Smith, Trevor Sutton|
Front Row: Janne Klassen, Lindsey Dugan, Blake Scott, Nikki Dickerson, Karen Myers, Alayna Corneilius
|Karen Meyers, Trevor Sutton, and Alayna Corneilius|